Sunday, March 13, 2011

and yet more cooking experiments...

This morning, I wanted to celebrate Sunday by fixing something doughnut-like. I found this recipe in A World of Breads by Dolores Casella. It is a minimally sweet recipe.

Bunuelo Puffs
4 large eggs, separated
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1T sugar(I used 3)
1 cup milk

Beat egg yolks and whites separately and then fold together. Blend flour, baking powder, and sugar. Fold this into the egg mixture alternately with the milk. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in hot fat.

*I dipped these in honey to add a glaze. Adding confectioner's sugar would make these taste like sopapillas.

Next time, I may add some lemon or orange zest, OR some cinnamon. I can't decide if we'll have these or regular doughnuts at Easter. Maybe by then I'll find a Fry Daddy/Granpappy at Goodwill.

No comments:

Post a Comment